Author Topic: YouTubers and Patreon  (Read 10000 times)

Skedog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
YouTubers and Patreon
« on: July 31, 2015, 09:14:25 AM »
So let's talk Patreon
I understand the use of it, and I understand why it works so well for some YouTubers, but here is what I don't get. A particular YouTuber that I watch frequently recently decided to reward his $10 Patreon contributors with a spot on the whitelist of his Minecraft server. With over 600,000 subscribers, there is no way he could run a fully public server, so some sort of system had to be put in place, and I think this is great. The server didn't exist before, so it does not fall under the pay to play aspect in my mind, it is simply a reward for anyone who chooses to donate $10/month to this YouTuber.

Every bit of the content he produces is free to watch and enjoy, he does weekly livestreams, for free, and he is spending his time hosting a server for his viewers. Yet the comments in the video where he announced this perk of a $10 donation were all just the meanest most vile things I have ever seen when a YouTuber announced a way for fans to play with the creator.

TLDR: I don't understand fans getting pissed about a $10/month Patreon subscription to be whitelisted on a server to play with your favorite creator. No one is making you pay, so I just can't wrap my head around the idea of being pissed about it. What are your thoughts? Let's talk about this.

Full disclosure, I had considered something similar with my MC server at first, but opted against it due to the age of my viewers. I also think the $10 might be a bit high, but that is what he picked so that part is his choice.

MediumTheWhale

• I am the Whale God, my name is Medium.
    • View Profile
Medium's Opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »
Hello Ske, before I get into what I think let's talk about what is a Patreon, it's a monthly subscription used for raising money for, in your case, a server. The cost could be anything really, ranging from $1 to I don't even care, I sincerely doubt your going to need a $10 monthly payment, your not that big of a streamer... Yet.

Now time for what I think, your not made of money,  and I think that a Patreon is a great way of sustaining a server. While most people would be angered, annoyed or even infuriated, I for one think that this can be beneficial to you as the streamer, your content is higher quality than all of the streamers your size, it's free to watch and you constantly talk to the viewers.

I myself don't get why people get so pissed off over something like this, My guess is that they think we are rich or something. My opinion: Go for it, it will separate your true subscribers from those who are there to ask the 'smart'  question of: "Can you give me a shout out?"

There you have my opinion on the matter, originally I had written this more aggressively but this is a community forum so I decided to tone my aggressiveness down a notch.

Skedog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Re: YouTubers and Patreon
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
I should be more clear, so just to clarify,  I really don't have any intentions at all of asking people to pay to play on my server, I am happy with the way it is for now, the community is small still, and it is still manageable at the moment. But in the future, I am not against the idea of paying to get whitelisted.

I am glad you agree with me on this topic Medium, I don't understand why people get so pissed regarding it - but anyone else who doesn't agree with me, I would love to see why, and I would love to try to understand that side of things.